On 01/02/2024 04.46, Patrick wrote:
Python3-pip should be added back next release

It never was installed in any Tails release.

and with a global config to torify it by default.
You can make any single file (like `~/.config/pip/pip.conf`) persistent with the Dotfiles persistence feature. [0]

[0] https://tails.net/doc/persistent_storage/configure/#dotfiles

There are many nice python tools not included with tails that users may like to install. Also pip seems like a easy way to test different python tools for use and possible integration onto tails.

Tails is not a general purpose operating system, we simply do not have resources to support all use cases. [1] Our focus are on the needs of our personas [2], and none of them are into Python development. :)

[1] https://tails.net/support/faq/#new-software
[2] https://tails.net/contribute/personas/

But, as already shown above, Tails allows you to customize it extensively through the persistence feature. The Additional Software persistence feature [3] allows you to keep any package from Debian installed and up-to-date, so just install python3-pip and the other tools you like that way.

[3] https://tails.net/doc/persistent_storage/additional_software/

A persistent storage feature for user installed python packages could also be designed to be a hook that adds the appropriate corresponding .local folders to the persistence.conf upon activation of the feature.

It is not a documented feature any more (I think because of bugs like #19267) but you can also make any folder persistent yourself. Start Tails with an administration password, login, start a Root Terminal.

This makes ~/.local persistent:

    echo '/home/amnesia/.local  source=dot-local' \
         >> /live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/persistence.conf

You can do this multiple times, so this also makes the pip cache persistent:

    echo '/home/amnesia/.cache/pip      source=pip-cache' \
         >> /live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/persistence.conf

The `source=pip-cache` part means that the data will be stored on the persistent storage in `/live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/pip-cache`, so just make sure to never re-use the same source as any other line in that file. You must restart Tails for lines added like this to take effect.

Cheers!