On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 14:38:20 +1000 (EST)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just a general comment and a couple of suggestions.
>
> Having been adding items into osm for the last year I've noticed
> people spending a lot of time tracing roads from landsat, yahoo, etc.
>
> While this is admirable work is this really a useful exercise.
> Someone will eventually drive along this road with a gps upload it
> and then erase the traced road.

Give that some parts of Adelaide for example have got 2 years without
anyone doing a GPS track on the, having somebody have at least put in
the main roads with an overhead trace gives a framework to place things
on. Likewise there are a number of people who contribute ONLY GPS
tracks but no names or other details, and often don't ever trace their
GPS tracks. If someone has traced from YAHOO etc and put the road name
in then someone else can come along and combine the 2 pieces of
information to make the more accurate data. Surely getting whatever
data we can at whatever level we currently have is a better
methodology? Surely even if an area were to be fully GPS traced and
annotated people should still be occsionally checking things anyway and
will notice things that slip by?

> Or worse still will not bother to drive down that road as it's
> already in osm and not tagged as survey and therefore not sure should
> they replace it.  So it never gets surveyed accurately.

Anyone with 1/2 oz of a clue can work out the difference between a
yahoo/etc traced map and a gps track, for starters if you've uploaded
you GPS track and made it public it's obvious. Then of course there's
the source: tags.

> So my suggestion is instead of tracing roads, trace things that can
> not be easily surveyed.  eg railway lines, rivers, powerlines.

Railway lines are easy to survey, catch a train ;)

> Or fix the coastline.  There's still lots of areas where the
> coastline is not accurate and needs to be fixed up.
>
> Anyway just my 2c's.

And if someone enjoys tracing roads or some other feature exclusively
are we to tell them to go away because it's not our idea of the best
way to spend their time on OSM?

--

=b