--- On Sun, 18/1/09, i...@4x4falcon.com <i...@4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> > source=* is different, since just because you tweak a few road bends
> > from a GPS track doesn't mean it wasn't derived from Yahoo tracing.
> > I'd suggest source=yahoo;gps in that case.
> > Of course I'm not a copyright lawyer, but that seems to make sense to
> > me.
> > I can't imagine a scenario where is would be ok to change the source on
> > a road from a government import, just because someone drove down the
> > road wih their GPS. It still is derived from the Government data.
>
> Not if you delete the way and replace it completly with the gps derived
> data.
>
> Have look at the Mackay Qld where there is some gps sourced ways in place
> and compare it with the yahoo images in potlatch.
>
> If someone had traced the images before I put the gps data in then I
> would have just deleted the way and used the gps data as any traced way
> would have been significantly out.
>
> Cheers
> Ross

Yeah, I was just thinking of this situation after I had sent to the list :P
I concur.

Early on in my OSM career, I changed a freeway that was from a GPS but the
track wasn't accurate compared to nearby tracks/traces. So I deleted it and
traced from Yahoo, with lots of nodes along bends to make them smooth. I found
it easier to delete the old way than moving a stack of nodes in Potlatch,
especially since it was a dual carriageway.
BTW, you can align Yahoo imagery in Potlatch, as long as you have a few good
points to align with (like an accurate GPS track of a curvy road).

BlueMM

      Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take
a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox