On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 05:16 -0700, John Smith wrote:

> JSON offers most of the advantages of XML, without a lot of the drawbacks,
> XML is often referred to as a horse designed by a committee and they ended up
> with a camel :)

The way I see it - XML is good for marking up text. JSON is good for
describing structured data.

If HTML was based on JSON, it would be somewhat ugly, and I think an
XMLish like thing suits it well.

On the other hand, I think JSON is a good fit for a gps trace (since it
is just structured data), and using XML is bleh.

The big reason that XML gets used everywhere is because it gets used
everywhere :). If a language didn't have a JSON library and an XML
library, the XML one would get written first. So even though it is a
clumsy language for lots of things, it is at least a clumsy standard
language.