John Smith wrote:

> I'm not saying they're inaccurate, I'm saying they create noise in some areas
> rather than showing useful information.

Completely a matter of opinion, and again the same thing could be said
about innumerable bits of data that don't fit into your perception of
what needs to be on the map.

> In the middle of western regions in NSW there isn't much of anything, let
> alone something of significants as a suburb boundary, but this is why I
> suggested using alternate

Are you sure they are not suburb boundaries? All over SA these very
cases you are talking about ARE suburb boundaries, nearly the whole
state (at least south of Goyder's Line) has 'suburbs' defined which as I
said before the ABS almost lives up to matching.

> It's not just place=one_size_fits_all, and in this case suburb boundaries
> would be useful, boundaries in rural Australia is confusing, no one navigates
> like that.

They work exactly the same as suburb boundaries, they divide the level
above (postcodes) into areas that the Geographical name boards of our
various states have defined under a particular name.

> What about for every day use, that would be a once in a while use, which is
> more important,
 > as I find them completely unhelpful,
 > distracting even as I'm not used to seeing maps
 > drawn that way so it makes quickly referencing
 > an area a much bigger task.

Maybe not every day, but probably once a week or so for me they are useful.

So let me see if I get this correct, because you aren't used to maps
looking this way we should change the way the data is represented?

> Navit makes it even worst by making them very obvious and it confuses things
> trying to navigate that way.

Ah, so there's a certain amount of 'tag for the renderer' happening here
also.

> That's just it, they're ABS boundaries and they
 > are where they are for a purpose, statistics mostly,
 > should we be really messing with them en masse,
 > but I think we need to selectively show such boundaries
 > or we should be drawing new boundaries that are more meaningful.

These are PLACE names not ABS names. They are quite often the
aggregation of several ABS areas into 1 for that coincide with a place.
They are valid locations, they are valid suburb boundaries, in fact in
some areas ABS doesn't actually have all of place names that exist and
have boundaries.

We should have no hesitation correcting ABS data because they don't
necessarily reflect individual ABS survey areas anyway.

Franc put a lot of work into bringing them in, the list talked about it
at the time and I believe it was accepted that they would be wrong in
places but it was the best we could get given the whole Australia is so
big issue.

Darrin