2009/9/28 Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com>:

> I like it.
>
> Use the autopilot from here:
>
> http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Main_Page

The wired editor also has a site up that sells autopilot kit:

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/ardupilot-main-page

> with one of these:
>
> http://www.rcwarehouse.com.au/productinfo/?prod_id=GPMA1180++

The wired editor had one of these:

http://castlehillhobbies.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage_modern/product_id,5637/category_id,117/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

About the same price, slightly bigger wing span but what I don't know
is which would give better flight times...

> Capture the transmitted video, at the base station, as single frame with
> lat/long/hdop encoded in the exif data with little or no need for manual
> georeferencing.

You would decrease your flight time or increase the payload weight to
cope with the extra power needed for the live video feed, also RC
electronics and electric motors can interfere with transmitted images,
see the videos on this page:

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=98

I'm still trying to work out if a HD video camera or a 10MP+ camera
would be better, both types of cameras weigh only a few hundred grams
including battery and you could trigger the shutter from the onboard
computer.

> Program a staggered line ahead (roads) or grid (towns) search pattern and you
> could cover most rural roads and towns in a short time.

And water ways and farms and other land uses for that matter.

> Sounds like fun and the airframe is cheap enough to have a couple for when
> you break it.

Or cheap enough to have a few in the air at the same time to decrease
the time needed for coverage, although this might need multiple
"pilots" to be legal, not sure.