2009/10/5 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatra...@gmail.com>:
> Just one comment.  If it was me working on it, i would hesitate on adding in
> roads where they are 'estimated' because it is not known as a fact.  Once
> all the property boundaries are in there, i think that will cause a natural
> 'growth' in OSM activity, and people would want to help out ... by going
> along that way with a GPS, and getting some tracks.  so not even listing a
> highway=road, might be the best way to go.  IMO

Actually anyone that knows a road exists but hasn't had a chance to
map it by other means could use the property boundaries to do so, no
GPS needed etc.

Also Qld alone makes up 1/4 of the area of Australia, but has
relatively few people (4.2 mill according to wikipedia), most live in
the very south east of the state around Brisbane.

My point is, the majority of back roads, and even streets in tiny
little out back towns aren't going to be mapped by GPS, at least not
for a decade maybe more.

> Once a few tracks (even 1 will do) whoever is tracing there own tracks will
> have a 'guide' to work with already.   This way, we will know for sure that
> roads exist where they do in real-life.

Those traces just don't exist and most likely won't exist.

> It will also give an opportunity for that local area mapper to add in other
> POI along the way. :-)

Yes, there is no street names or POIs on property boundary data :)

> Another note, is bigtincan hosting a planet-dump and diff/load for your
> slippy map?

Only of south eastern Asia and the south western Pacific, the server
would be capable of more, but lacks hdd space.

> ... and what do you think of my way of conducting the import (just making
> the .osm files available (hosting them on mediafire.com), and letting local
> are mappers drop-in the data at their leisure? and organizing it all with a
> Googledocs chart?   (itching for feedback here)

You do know there is 2.1million property boundaries right?

> Is BTC mapper going to add Garmin Maps to that list?

Several people already do Garmin maps, I didn't see much point to it.
The major reason for getting a tile server up and running was highway
shields...

> P.S.  Yup, i knew that the government would open up, it was just a matter of
> time.  :-)  ... i guess the rest of the common wealth countries might be
> next.   Only, if the Queen says so. ;)

I think part of the reason the data was released is due to a change of
federal government, who do some truly good things and then turn round
and screw it all up with bone head ideas like filtering people at the
ISP level.