On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Andy Botting <a...@andybotting.com> wrote:
> Hi there freedom lovers,
>
> I've dabbled with a few little tram projects over the last couple of
> years, so I'm interested in the state of the tram information for
> Melbourne.
>
> I've noticed that the stops in OSM are a little inconsistent and
> incomplete, so I'd like to get them fixed.
>
> Anyone on this list from Melbourne and catching trams, have probably
> heard of 'Tram Tracker'. It's a web-services based system for
> predicting the arrival of a tram at a particular stop. I've managed
> write some little python scripts to compile a little database of all
> the stops, with info like lat, lng, stop number, routes stopping at
> each stop, and a few other little bits.
>
> So, my questions here are:
>
>  1. What sort of agreement do I need from Yarra Trams before this
> information can be uploaded into OSM? What have others done in the
> past? What can you do if they agree one day, then change their mind?

Generally you should get some form, either by a published copyright
that is compatible with the OSM license, or a specific statement
allowing OSM to import the data under it's license, if the general
copyright is not compatible.

>  2. Is there a particular format/method for uploading this
> information? I guess I would need to manually remove the existing
> stops first before pushing the new data in.

For the couple imports I have done I have user perl (I would assume
python equivalent exist) modules to convert from shp/gpx/whatever to
the '.osm' xml format and then pushed it in with josm or an osm batch
upload script.

The long bits tend to be getting copyright agreement (which may be a
'not happening' scenario) and then working out what attributes to put
on the data - which i have done iteratively on the list.

(ps - Hi Andy - 'Intersect Franc')

cheers

> cheers,
>
> Andy