Steve Bennett wrote:

> It's not really one-way. You can only complete the whole track in one
> direction from about November to April or so, but there's no rule
> about doing individual sections in reverse order.

That was tongue-in-cheek on my part.  I just love the government telling
me which direction I should walk in.

> Lol - is that what the "ele" tag is. Oops. That means I had even
> uploaded waypoints with elevations for some summits.
>
> Then again, I didn't calibrate the altimeter, so they wouldn't be much use.
>
> I'm not sure what would count as reasonable sources for elevation
> data. Presumably not reading off maps, but what about books, other
> websites, signposts...?

I sometimes use the altimeter in my Garmin 76CSx, but it's a
automatically GPS-calibrated barometric altimeter, and quite accurate.

Otherwise, I just look it up from several sources and get a rough consensus.

> I dunno, I don't think the Overland really has a particular track
> marker, does it? Sure, there are red (or orange?) triangles used at
> certain points, but they're also used on the side trips. And there are
> very long sections with no markers at all, because they're not needed.

Orange triangle is the present standard according to:
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=6789

Red is the nearest colour available from
http://topo.geofabrik.de/symbols_en.html

As they say, the symbol (if used) should approximate the one walkers
will see on the track, or be otherwise meaningful rather than just
looking nice.

John H