On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 23:50 +1100, Franc Carter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use to tag traffic signals at the intersect of the roads, however
> with NearMap I can see that for complex intersections this does not
> work as well as I would like, three things I can see to do are:-
>
> 1. tag at the intersecttion of roads
> 2. tag at the location of the signals
> 3. either (1) or (2) depending on the complexity of the intersection.
>
> What's peoples views on this ?

>From a routing perspective, its more useful to have the information on
the road intersection.  While it might render nicer if you put objects
geographically where they are (separated from the road), from a routing
perspective thats not much use unless you use a relation to relate the
traffic lights to the roadway the traffic lights are on.

Also, traffic signals arent only used for road intersections, traffic
lights are also sometimes used to control pedestrian crossings between a
footway/cycleway and a highway, which I feel is useful to tag.

David