I was using my GPS to navigate to an unfamiliar street today. Part of the route included the M5 motorway in southwest Sydney. Usually, the message on the GPS reads "East on Brown Street" or "Brown Street to Greens Road". However, while on the M5, the message simply read "East on road". Not very informative - usually only occurs on streets that haven't been named yet.

I had a look at the M5, and there is no "name" tag. Naming is only done via relations, which I'm not familiar with, and I'm not going to alter. Is it OK to simply add a "name=M5" to all sections of the motorway? I also looked at the M4, and it has similar coding, but I haven't tried navigating on it, so I don't know how it will come up on a GPS.

Richard