On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do we have any objective way of deciding what is a "major through
> route within a local area" vs a "minor through route within a local
> area"?

By definition, the definition will be dependent on the context. From
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway: "description of the
importance of the highway for the road grid." To get any useful
feedback from us, I suspect you will need to give us some context, in
terms of the "road grid" in the location you're talking about.

Unfortunately, I think it boils down to this: make it secondary if
it's more important than nearby tertiary roads, and make it tertiary
if it's less important than nearby secondary roads. Iterate.