The Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute, Queensland Young
Professionals Committee (SSSIQ YPs) are running their MapMyTown
project for the first time in 2010.

The project:

The MapMyTown project aims to use as many available spatial &
surveying technologies and methods as possible to build spatial
resources and a spatial model of a small Queensland town.

Some of the anticipated outcomes include:

3D building models derived from laser scanner survey,
GIS network models of town utilities such as water mains and road networks,
Location of Permanent Survey Marks & observation of networks,
GNSS capture of important features, including culturally important items,
Google earth fly through and layers,
Satellite imagery & aerial photography products, and
GIS generated mapping products, including attributing & photographs.

The project will run onsite over a weekend, with time allocated for
data development after the site component has been completed.

The aims:

There are 4 main aims for this project:

1.Work with a regional council & town to develop spatial resources
that can be used for personal purposes,

2.Improve the understanding of spatial professions and technologies
within the community,

3.Provide an opportunity for spatial professionals to develop new
skills and use new technologies,

4.Provide an opportunity for spatial companies to demonstrate their
products to an audience of spatial professionals and the community.

5.Help promote the spatial industry within Universities and regional areas

The place:

At this stage, the Town of Bell in the Western Downs Regional Council
(WDRC) area has been identified as the preferred location.

The players:

The key players in the MapMyTown project are:

The SSSI Queensland Young Professionals – They will be responsible for
the project development, management and organisation for the entire
project. This includes confirming a location, engaging sponsors,
involving the local council & marketing the project to spatial
professionals.

Western Downs Regional Council – The council will be involved as much
as they wish. Any spatial products developed as an outcome of this
project will be provided to council.

The town community – The town community, and progress society will be
a key player in this project, as their support is paramount to a
successful outcome. It is envisaged that the project will also provide
some level of spatial training to interested parties.

The spatial professionals – This group will be responsible for the
majority of the spatial information and products developed through
this project. It is envisaged that this group will consist of three
major streams, the teachers, the students and the professionals:

The teachers will be those spatial professionals who are willing to
teach other spatial professionals about how to use specific
technologies or methods and techniques.

The students are those spatial professionals who are wishing to learn
about specific technologies, or methods and techniques.

The professionals are those people who want to participate, but just
wish to collect spatial information for the project.

It must be emphasised that an individual could participate in all 3
streams over the course of the project, depending on their
preferences.

The sponsors:

Sponsors will be a critical component in the provision of new
technologies and infrastructure required to complete this project.
Spatial Industry companies have previously been very generous with
their support of the spatial industry, and we hope that this project
will give them the opportunity to showcase their products to a broad
section of spatial professionals as well as the community.

Some of the sponsorship opportunities we are hoping to secure are:

Technology – laser scanners, total stations, GNSS technology, mobile
mapping, imagery: you name it we can use it for this project! It’s a
great opportunity to showcase both your latest and greatest, as well
as those historical technologies.

Financial – Obviously this kind of project requires a fair amount of
organisation, and we’re hoping for some financial support to make the
job of administration, marketing & outcomes easier.

For more information:

If you would like to be involved with the MapMyTown project as a
participant, sponsor or just have general questions or comments,
please contact the SSSIQ YPs Chair, Chris McAlister @
madamefishfigh...@rocketmail.com or on 0407668512

--
David Dean