On 18 July 2010 09:49, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:
> The original Murray River trace was either made by swampwallaby using vmap or
> by a few of us tracing from Landsat.
> The only surveyed points then would have been bridges and bridge piers.

Ross' problem was that the Murray River is using ABS data, which for
the most part is still the best resource available except where
Nearmap covers now, however no one has updated around Echuca yet, but
I've updated a fair bit from the most easterly Nearmap coverage of the
Murray river and have slowly been working my way west.

> Some can now be seen on Nearmap, and this is enough resolution to split the
> river from the admin boundary.
> This might be best done by drawing in riverbanks and making areas of the
> river.

The bits I've updated I've left the boundary tagged as waterway=river,
but unlike most other rivers the boundary is the southern side of the
river, rather than how most rivers are drawn with a way down the
centre, so what I did was use the boundary as part of a multipolygon,
rather than drawing separate polygons, and this seems to render
correctly:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.08434&lon=146.84911&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF