On 30 July 2010 22:27, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Meh. I look at the definition of landuse=recreation_ground and I think
> it could include almost anything. Maybe you're right. There are so few
> showgrounds it won't matter much either way.
>
> Steve

Actually there are a lot of showgrounds.  Pretty much every rural town
has a designated show area, and if you talk about something being held
at the showgrounds, the locals all know where you mean.  But most of
the year, it's used for other things.  Any permanent halls are often
used for clubs to meet in, any weekly markets may well be held in the
show grounds, etc.

During the show, everything else stops. But about 50 weeks of the
year, it's used for other things.

Example, a local showgrounds near me has the show for about 1.5 weeks
each year.  But the rest of the year, it holds a market each week,
several of the halls are used pretty much every night for various
clubs (eg one hall has four different dance groups, indoor bowls, and
a music group every week), there's a church each week in one of the
other halls, several equestrian events each year in the ring, concerts
sometimes, running & athletic events in the grounds.  It's still
called the showgrounds, though.