On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 20:58 -0500, Anthony wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:21 PM, David Murn <da...@incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 23:51 +1000, John Smith wrote:>> Thankfully the main
> > author of the software seems to want a more
> >> general editor, not just one that works with OSM specific APIs etc.
> >
> > This makes me wonder.  Dirk has stated that he does not want the feature
> > implemented, while Frederik has stated that he has already implemented
> > it.
> >
> > Is that not the rudest form of vandalism in OSM (even worse than
> > vandalising a part of the map)?
>
> To be fair, Frederik had already made the changes before Dirk stated
> that he didn't want them.

Isnt it (maybe an unwritten) OSM policy that for a significant change,
it should be talked about before making the change, rather than after?

That would mean that Frederik's actions didnt just go against the
maintainers wishes (who he didnt even ask about first seemingly), but
also against the basis of which all major changes are made in OSM?  So
its not just vandalism against the package maintainer's position, its
vandalism against the OSM policies.

Isnt that why such policies are in-place, to prevent people making
changes and dealing with complaints afterwards..?  Its better to have
the problems addressed before any change is made, and it can be
implemented properly rather than a half hack that Frederik has done to
achieve a certain goal.

David