Hi,

2012/8/31 Michael Krämer <ohr...@gmail.com>

> 2012/8/31 Ian Sergeant <inas66+...@gmail.com>
>

>> Well, I think the baseline is defined here..
>>
>> http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L00525
>>
>> I don't think we have any issues using those facts as a source.
>>

> That looks great, combining this with the coastline should work. The
> coastline can be either drawn via osmosis from a planet extract or perhaps
> also from OverpassAPI. But I guess we'll have to generate all those line
> segments in QGIS to get the coordinate systems right.

A quick update from my side on this: I'm afraid it's not as straightforward
as I had assumed...

I managed to generate an osm file from the points given in the proclamation
[1]. This gives the straight pieces of the baseline. But the problem is
that the coastline doesn't really give the right baseline for the rest
(high vs. low water mark). When I checked briefly I came across some
pronounced differences for example in the gulf of carpentaria. I guess it
will be the same along the Great Barrier Reef.

So we would have to do some guesswork to combine coastline and straight
segements.

BTW, it's very likely not a projection issue. I made sure by doing a check
of my calculations against the data Geoscience Australia provides.

Michael

-------
[1] https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1222615/baseline.osm