Hi Ken,

On 19/09/12 11:57, Ken Self wrote:
>> In doing a manual load I am ensuring the boundaries share common
boundaries
> with one another and the multipolygons close off properly. Those are pretty
> much impossible to do with an automated load. Even a few manual errors creep
> in but they are easily fixed.
>
> As I understand it from the ABS website
> http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/a9421cdfb258e4a4ca2570ad00818509?o
> pendocument they are supposed to be the gazetted boundaries

... that document is for the 2006 census boundaries.

For the 2011 ASGS, the Non-ABS structures data is at
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/1270.0.55.003July%202011?OpenDocument

With the documentation at
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/subscriber.nsf/log?openagent&1270055003_oct%202011.pdf&1270.0.55.003&Publication&469CDA45CE2B94CCCA257937000D966F&&July%202011&31.10.2011&Previous

it states that the LGA boundaries which form part of the ASGS 2011, "are
an ABS approximation of officially gazetted LGAs as defined by each
State and Territory (S/T) Local Government Department."

Which is good enough for most purposes, and a good starting point for
later corrections.

I suppose that raises an interesting point, that in true OSM spirit if
on the ground data indicates an area is LGA X (eg. street sign
branding), but the "official" gazetted boundaries say otherwise, OSM
should primarily contain what's on the ground, rather than the
"official" one.

Again quoting from that document, the suburb boundaries which form part
of the ASGS 2011, "are an ABS approximation of localities gazetted by
the Geographical Place Name authority in each State and Territory (S/T).
Since 1996 these boundaries have been formalised for most areas of
Australia through a program coordinated by the Committee for
Geographical Names in Australasia (CGNA) under the umbrella of the
Intergovernmental Committee On Surveying and Mapping (ISCM). SSCs are
built from Statistical Area Level 1 (SA1) that, singly or in
combination, form an approximation of Gazetted Localities."

> The question is what to use as a definitive source for corrections that is
> ODBL compliant. I've found some maps on
> http://www.vec.vic.gov.au/publications/publications-maps.html#5 but not sure
> if we can use them to make corrections in OSM to the ABS boundaries.

No you cannot gather information from those maps and transfer it into OSM.

Those maps are Copyright All rights reserved. And the golden OSM rule is
don't copy from other maps unless they are released under a compatible
license.