Yep, good idea Wil. I don't see anything obvious in Map Features,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features you really have two
choices, define your own or start a campaign to define a suitable key.
First is easier, second will do a heap better job as if most people do
it the same way, its going to be easier to find entries. If you go for
the roll your own solution, do doc it in the Australian page so local
people can at least follow you example.

I think its something you add to a road, so maybe its -

highway=*
tourism=scenic_route

However, most of the things defined under tourism
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourism are really POI like, does
that mean they should not be applied to a linear thing ?

David