On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hock...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Richard wrote
>
>     "Take a shot at creating rendering rules that fit your use case!  :-)"
>
> I'm with John on this one - especially for the case of Australia.  Maybe
> we need a special renderer for Australia.  Just recently I managed to get
> some new mappers interested in mapping in rural NSW.
>
> They have started on the Wyndham area (which was just about completely
> unmapped, and they are having the same problem as John. I,E when they want
> to see Wyndham and it's neighbouurs (Candelo and Cathcart) at the same time
> on a map, OpenStreetMap shows almost nothing since they are too far apart.
>
> We really need a smart renderer that determines (for each tile in each
> zoom level) what are the most significant objects/ways in that tile/zoom
> and makes sure that they are rendered (even if they happen to be hundred
> mile long dirt tracks). Also if the major places in the tile are only
> localities,hamlets or villages then they should be rendered. That way we
> would not be tempted to elevate a village to a town just to make the map
> usable.

Largely, I think that removing the temptation to elevate a village to a
town is an education problem, not a rendering problem.  "Don't tag for the
renderer" is part of it and "look at this awesome transit map" is another
part.  Back to creating a specialty rendering that is smarter about sparse
areas.

I don't think that the smart sparse renderer is impossible.  In fact, a new
feature was discussed on the mapnik list this week, transformation plugins,
that may be helpful.  Transformation plugins allow you to analyze and
transform the data before rendering, so that might just be the place to
decide which place= to render at which size / logo / prominence.   So if it
interests you, have a go at it.