On 30/09/15 19:31, Andrew Harvey wrote:
Currently Melbourne Airport appears in the database twice, once as a
node once as a way. Is there any reason why I should not move the
tags from the node to the way and delete the node?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/235151361
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/305804278

Garmin GPS units have always been a favourite with OSM mappers, as well
as the general public who don't want to pay exorbitant prices for map
updates.

I regularly update and use an OSM base map on my Garmin car GPS.  It's
great for finding routing errors in the underlying OSM data.

When using a GPS unit, all manner of things come under the heading of
points-of-interest (POI).  As a consequence, there are those of us who
rely on things like shops, schools, servos, toilets, etc being nodes
rather than ways so that they're correctly listed in the various POI
categories the GPS offers.

I'm sure there are those who will argue that the mkgmap program should
render appropriate ways as POIs when converting to Garmin maps.  To the
best of my knowledge, it still doesn't.

John