I have often wondered where the existing National Park data comes from. In
general it seems to exist in OSM in quite high fidelity however the
boundaries are usually not evident on the ground or imagery. Yet whenever
I've looked back through histories I can't find any reasonable source or
attribution tags.

However there is data at
https://www.data.vic.gov.au/data/dataset/parks-and-conservation-reserves-parkres
which is described as:
*Parks and Conservation Reserves (PARKRES)*

*PARKRES is a spatial representation of the Parks and Reserves Information
Management System (PRIMS). This database lists Parks and Conservation
Reserves under the policy control of the DELWP Parks and Protected Areas
Branch. These include areas scheduled under the National Parks Act 1975,
Nature Conservation Reserves, Natural Features Reserves, Regional Parks,
Phillip Island Nature Park, Historic & Cultural Features Reserves, and
Metropolitan Open Space Parks. Many of these areas are managed by Parks
Victoria under a management agreement between the Minister for Environment
and the Parks Victoria Board. PRIMS and PARKRES define the areas covered by
this agreement. The aim of this layer is to eventually map all areas
represented in PRIMS at 1:25,000 or better scale. This dataset updated from
time to time, so is a snapshot of the parks and reserves system.*

Included in the accuracy statement is: *Validation of the land manager
attribute is continuing. This dataset does not provide definitive
boundaries for areas scheduled under the National Parks Act 1975*

Attribution to DELWP under CC BY 4.0

However I've no idea if this license is fully compatible, or if we have
specific permission.

For existing parks and lack of source, look at Mornington Peninsula NP
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3361243/history#map=17/-38.44856/144.95120
in that location the shape is completely non-obvious on the ground, and
there's no attribution I can see. See also
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/176328417#map=16/-38.4744/144.8905

regards,

Adam