On 09-Oct-17 06:38 PM, Warin wrote:
On 09-Oct-17 06:13 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

On 9 October 2017 at 16:04, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com <mailto:61sundow...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    One problem is that 'locality' does not translate well.
    I'd think that any admin area would have someone resident in the
    area.
    So tagging them OSM 'locality' may not be the best?

    OSM says 'hamlet ' is less then 100-200 people. think that fits best?

But what do we do when those "few" people are spread out over a largish area, with no central location?

The area of Lamington in SEQ http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-28.2351/152.9940, was, I thought, originally a locality, but is now shown as a hamlet.

Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington,_Queensland says that in 2011, it had a population of 463 people, but they're spread out over probably 200km2, if not more?

The "heart" of Lamington consists of 2 camping grounds, 5k apart, one of which has a cafe / recreation centre (School camping type of arrangement) next door, http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-28.28710/153.03499, a handful of B&B's & farms & that's about it.

To me, it should probably be a locality as there's nothing really there, a hamlet, IMHO, should feature a central clump of at least some homes / buildings, that you can point to & say "Yep, that's wherever" :-)

Yep.
Tagging these area with 'place' may suit things where the population density is high -e.g. Europe - but does not sit well here.
These areas have no real centre.
Should one of these areas be tested by leaving out the place tag and see what happens?

Looking at the place key https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place

there are also non population specific placesĀ  that might suit

district?
region?
province?

These don't have good definitions on the OSMwiki.