The vicmap API isn't under an open license so it was never supposed to be
used to derive data from for OSM.

The vicmap data which you download, is allowed to be used, as it is CC BY
4.0 with the OSM waiver.

I agree that having a background map we can load into editors makes it
easier to add names etc. than needing to load the data.

So I suggest we setup an OSM-AU Mapbox account, load in the vicmap data and
then get those maps into the editors as background layers. I'm happy to
help out with this.

What kinds of information have you been using from Vicmap?