On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 12:29, Joel H. <jo...@disroot.org> wrote:

> Thats pretty cool, I might compare a few of these roads.
>
> On 15/11/18 9:25 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> > I did some brief comparison it and there was at
> > least one place where it was better than what's in OSM currently
> > (geometry).
>
> I find the a geometry of the government data to be less straight and
> more jittery,

I would say unnecessarily over-sampled.

> the OSM data is perfectly OK in these cases. I have seen
> some rough geometry in OSM, but I think the best thing to do is to use
> GPX and make it ourselves. Could you please give me the name of the road
> where geometry on this dataset was better? I would like to take a look.

https://osmcha.mapbox.com/changesets/64522779/

Original roads were edited in 2013 and imagery all showed this as a
roundabout, as confirmed by the TMR dataset so I updated it from TMR.

> On 15/11/18 9:25 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> I'm noticing that the dashes seem to be missing on a lot of country
> roads, I feel like we should trust OSM more but...
>
> In OSM we have: Esk Hampton Road
>
> In QSC we have: Esk - Hampton Road
>
> Esk and Hampton are town names so a dash makes sense. What does everyone
> think?

If they are signposted with the dash in most cases then I think it's
better to go for consistency and use the dash.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 13:37, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way of showing in OSM that "this" is a State road? Could we use
> an "Operator" tag?
>
> I have sometimes wondered whether arterial roads around our area are Council
> or TMR controlled, so I know who to complain to!

+1 to the operator tag in this case. In fact that's something we could
use this source for, to add operator=Department of Transport and Main
Roads + operator:wikidata=Q1191482 to all of these roads.