From: Arthur Geeson [mailto:ag200...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 3 January 2019 5:16 PM
To: OSM Australia mailing list
Subject: [talk-au] Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Hi,

I would like to use the position data received from Automatic Identification
System (AIS) messages that are used for navigational aids for marine ships to
plot the position of these piles on the OSM but I am not sure if this would be
copy right information?

Perhaps we could have a 'source - AIS' ?

Looking at the OSM wiki I find that there is a 'man_made - beacon' tag.
Further searching I find there is an OpenSeaMap.  I am not sure why we would
need OpenStreetMap and OpenSeaMap should these not be combined? However if they
are separate so be it.  It would seem that OpenSeaMap has a number of suitable
icons but I was not able to search it.  Basically AIS does not seem to be
supported on either of the maps.

MarineTraffic.com uses the OpenStreetMap to display the positions of many
thousands of ships around the world based on AIS input.

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks - Arthur