Hi,

I'm a member of the OSMF Data Working Group and we have been alerted to
this thread. Please let me say a few words of caution to avoid problems
down the line:

The "upgrade tags" functionality in the ID editor is highly
controversial in the community. The rules about "upgrading" are not the
result of a solid community process and many are contested.

While an individual mapper has the freedom to choose any tags they want,
they must also take full responsibility for what they are doing; the
editor does not take the responsibility away from them.

It is possible for someone without any knowledge of Australia to
participate in your challenge, log in, click the "upgrade tags" button
without ever seeing *what* tags are being upgraded (or understanding
why), and uploading the change.

This kind of edit would clearly fall under the rules for mechanical
edits and would have to be discussed in the community beforehand (i.e.
the Australian community would have to agree what mechanical changes
they want to apply to which objects). If anyone were to complain to DWG
about such an edit, DWG would likely have to revert all edits made as
part of this challenge for failing to follow the mechanical editing
guidelines; while it is *possible* to actually inspect every "upgrade"
iD is suggesting, it is equally possible to just hit the "upgrade"
button without caring at all and you can't see from the outside how much
diligence has been applied in committing a changeset.

There have already been instances where, even outside of a MapRoulette
challenge, innocent newbie editors who just clicked "upgrade" and
thought they were doing good, have been grilled by the community later
("why exactly did you change this tag on this object to this value"),
leading to a bad experience on all sides involved.

Therefore, please exercise utmost care when setting up any MapRoulette
challenges or anything that incites user to mass-"upgrade" tags. It is
entirely possible that once the community has a closer look at it, the
tags will have to be "downgraded" again because whatever iD thought to
be a good idea, is not actually a good idea in Australia.

Do not blindly assume that what the iD editor suggests as an "upgrade"
is actually an improvement.

We are not saying that what you are doing is wrong, but it is definitely
dangerous and should only be done with utmost care.

Bye
Frederik Ramm
OSMF Data Working Group

DWG Ticket#2019060610000022 (user complaint about MapRoulette challenge
involving mass iD "upgrades")