18 Jun 2019, 08:40 by daviewa...@disroot.org:

>   Is it possible for a road to be both tertiary AND 4WD only?

Yes. In general highway=* tag is about road importance, not quality.

There are highway=primary full of potholes, highway=track with excellent asphalt
etc.

There are highway=trunk in Africa that are 4WD.

>From what I found - for example in Sierra Leone there are cases of
>highway=trunk
(highest level of national network, connecting major cities) that look like
this,
at least during rainy season:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28067294@N03/2709853961
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/28067294@N03/2709853961>

highway=tertiary is attempted to be defined as
"roads connecting smaller settlements, and within large settlements for
roads connecting local centres. In terms of the transportation network,
OpenStreetMap "tertiary" roads commonly also connect minor streets
to more major roads."