You are missing one need: It needs to be something that people will use.

For that reason, there are many ways to handle this, with the talk-au list
being one of those.

Some people use some of the other (existing) options for discussing OSM. A
mailing list has its advantages and disadvantages, but there are other
options that implement some of the features you suggest in a better way.
The more modern platforms already exist.

    - Ben.