On 18/02/2020 5:11 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
I hold the view that access=yes just means either physical or legal access is allowed (or at least not forbidden), whereas access=designated implies that it's signposted or otherwise explicitly designed/used for/by that mode.

I'm good with the concept of a sign (or a painted outline of a squashed cyclist).

I am now curious about what you've described as "otherwise explicitly designed/used for/by that mode". What do you mean by explicitly designed? Do you mean I need to go and find the original plans and see if they state that the path is for use by pedestrians? Explicitly used? So if I clearly see a cyclist using it it's designated?

This view is backed up by what https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access says about designated

which is then immediately contradicted by:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Ddesignated

which says it's based on what the law says (which is then contradicted itself by the value description template to the right that says marked for a particular use.)

So in ACT the footpath would be bicycle=yes since bicycles are allowed on the footpath, but it's not a designated path for bicycles.

Yes and no. Under the it's the sign rule then yes, under the designated by law rule then designated.

This is why I asked what the Australian use was. I want to know if we're comfortable with the sign post rule or not.