Oct 23, 2020, 10:18 by fors...@ozonline.com.au:

> I am not morally responsible if an ex partner kills a woman in a women's
> refuge, he is, but I won't knowingly contribute to the process. And it
> doesn't wash with me to say they should put a guard at the door because I
> have mapped a refuge.

Not mapping ones that are private and not signed falls under not mapping
private info.

See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Limitations_on_mapping_private_information
for an attempt to gather consensus opinion.

>  Re access=no, if I recollect correctly they still display in OSM, only
> slightly more red.

This changed, now they display greish (less prominent)

>  You probably wouldn't notice. I haven't checked data users such as Osmand
> and Strava.

Any decent router will not route over them.

> Graeme
> Thanks for your thoughts on 'how to'. I have given it some thought and don't
> have any really good answers. Please think of a better scheme.
>
> I mentioned a Don'tRender=yes tag but worry it may be too complicated for the
> benefit that results but here goes:
>
> a land owner or manager can add a Don'tRender=yes tag
> OSM.org map would honour the tag in map mode

This is a bad idea.

> A licence condition for data users is that they have a public policy for the
> Don'tRender tag

That is fortunately impossible.

> By having the item visible at edit time it eliminates the cycle of addition
> and deletion and edit wars.

You can do that by mapping line and tagging it with note.

Note that deleting existing paths with "I do not want them rendered" is not an
acceptable edit.

> Let the mapping community decide whether the claim to be a land owner or
> manager is credible, if two organisations have credible claim to that then
> Don'tRender=disputed

Russia does not get to decide whatever their military bases can be mapped and
rendered in OSM.

I knowingly and deliberately violated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_geographic_data_in_China
by mapping objects in China.