I have added a note in the Australian Tagging Guidelines about using “awtgs”.
It is my first time editing the wiki, so I hope I’ve done the right thing.

Ian

From: Phil Wyatt <p...@wyatt-family.com>
Sent: Friday, 17 September 2021 3:52 PM
To: 'Andrew Harvey' <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>; 'Ian Steer'
<ianst...@iinet.net.au>
Cc: 'OSM Australian Talk List' <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: RE: [talk-au] Tagging hiking path difficulty - Australian Walking
Track Grading System (AWTGS)

Hi Folks.

Also be aware that there are also websites using their own ‘grading systems’
based on a combination of other systems (AWTGS and/or Australian Standards
combinations or straight out their own gradings) so please ensure that they
actually explicitly state that it’s the Australian Walking Track Grading system
that they are using exclusively before tagging it as such.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/bushwalking-safety/australian-walking-track-grading-system

https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/recreational-activities/walking-and-camping/australian-walking-track-grading-system

All the systems are often misinterpreted by folks not in the land management
field so please be careful. Officially signed classifications from the land
management agency would be the only ones I would trust that have been applied
correctly.

Like Andrew, I am not a fan of these classifications but tourism associations,
promoters, some commercial guiding establishments and some walking clubs love
them as a way to ‘guide people’ about the ‘general difficulty’ of the track.

Cheers - Phil