On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 at 08:17, Sebastian Azagra via Talk-au <
talk-au@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> the strict rules the cyclists must follow and not ride on footpaths due to
> Victorian Road Rules. Victorian cyclists know that we are not permitted to
> ride of footpaths.

Not arguing with you but:
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/bicycles

(Under "Infrastructure related rules" if it doesn't open)

"You can ride on a footpath if you:

   - are a child under the age of 13
   - are a person 13 and over who is accompanying a child under the age of
   13
   - are an adult 18 or over who is cycling with a young child in a child
   seat attached to their bicycle, or with a child pedalling on a bike
   attachment at the back of an adult bicycle
   - have been given and are following the conditions on a medical
   certificate that says you have a disability that makes it difficult for you
   to ride on the road. You need to follow the conditions on your medical
   certificate and show it to a police officer or authorised person when asked
   [or?] are an adult accompanying someone with a medical certificate cycling
   on a footpath."

So a blanket bicycle=no on *all* footpaths is wrong.

I would think it should be bicycle=designated, which means that signage &
local laws would then apply?

Members of the community have even sought confirmation of permissions from
> Vic police who have confirmed to the affirmative that unless a path is
> specifically signed to be used by a cyclist, then cyclists are not
> permitted to use it from a legal perspective.

I'd like to know what they're basing that on?

 Thanks

Graeme