Hi.

We need to be very careful about intellectual property with a project like
OSM. We cannot use maps (and aerial photos etc) where the owner does not
give us permission.

I can understand that this is frustrating when you have spent time on it,
and you had good intentions, but the original copyright owner won't see it
that way.

There is more detail on the wiki at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright

Some government agencies give explicit permission for OSM to use their
data. Without explicit permission, this data cannot be used in OSM.

 - Ben Kelley.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 08:31, Andrew & Ingrid Parker <canlo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good afternoon
>
> I emailed the group for the first time recently:
>
> *‘I am a basic OSM editor. I usually just correct obvious map errors I
> find while hiking/cycling. I have tried to be a little more ambitious every
> now and then, but I have found it can be quite difficult to keep other
> editors happy with what I do.’*
>
> I am writing to get some feedback from other members regarding an issue
> with another editor regarding  Changeset: 112406297 | OpenStreetMap
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/112406297#map=11/-36.7730/144.6082&layers=G>
>
> I used MapShareVic as my source, but was told that this is not allowed. I
> am surprised by this as MapshareVic is the official Victorian Government
> land software.
>
> The background to this is that Fryers Ridge State Forest as depicted on
> the map was completely incorrect, and I was attempting to correct it. Using
> iD, I decided it was better to delete it and start again.
>
> I am trying to edit the map in good faith using iD. I have tried using
> JOSM in the past, but found it to be too daunting and have been unable to
> find any good tutorials on YouTube.
>
> As far as I can tell Warin61 has deleted all the editing I spent many
> hours on
>
> Maybe there is someone here who can help me get back to using JOSM?
>
> It would be good to see what others think about this.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Andrew Parker

Ben Kelley
ben.kel...@gmail.com