Hey folks.
I'm just getting started contributing to OpenStreetMap, adding address
information for my local area. I've just started working in an area with heavy
residential subdivision; blocks being split with several freestanding
dwellings. There's a fairly pathological example at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-33.28505/149.08483 , but there's a lot
of smaller subdivisions around it.

The wiki at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Multiple_buildings_for_one_housenumber
 suggests adding a perimeter and addr tags to it. And a little further digging
around I found
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dresidential#Apartment_Complexes
 , which suggests `landuse=residential` is appropriate for this sort of use. So
I created an area around the property boundary based on the NSW DCS Base Map,
added `landuse=residential`, then appropriate `addr:housenumber` and
`addr:street` tags.

JOSM renders this how I'd expect, with an outline around the area and the
housenumber displayed in the middle of the area. But the map tiles I see on
opnstreeetmap.org only show the outline of the area, and do not display a
housenumber.

Is this the right approach for doing this? Am I just missing something stupid
to get this to work, or should I drop this plan and just stick to numbering the
building closest to the street?

Thanks for any advice,
--
Peter