Hi Tony and Sebastian,

There's a lot to take in here, but it does look like both of you care
deeply about cycle mapping in Melbourne and working with the best
intentions to make OSM data as accurate and complete as possible. You're
both engaging in discussion of the actual changes so to me everything I see
is happening in good faith. From a DWG perspective it doesn't appear there
is any malice here.

Though there is clearly some disagreement about how certain things should
be mapped even when you both have a common agreement of what's on the
ground.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle#Bicycle_Restrictions provides
some useful definitions of bicycle access tags, personally in my view we
should be using
bicycle=designated where clearly signposted for bicycles weather that is by
paint or signage
bicycle=no where there is clear no bicycles signage

In the case of https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/671174716 it does appear
to me to be ambiguous, so perhaps the best is exactly how it's currently
mapped without a bicycle tag at all? That said, if there is a signposted
bicycle route which takes you through that way I think that should be
enough to give it implied bicycle access, therefore bicycle=yes.

Is there a wider community view about this?