In addition to other suggestions, see also informal=yes/no
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:informal. Meaning it exists but
never specifically designed and built for that purpose and likely is not
officially maintained.

Generally I'd say that informal=yes would imply there is no operator=*, and
using an operator=* tag implies informal=no.