On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 14:58, Dian Ågesson <m...@diacritic.xyz> wrote:

> Hey Andrew,
>
> I’m chiming in as I encountered this issue documenting the “cleaned up”
> Roads tagging guidelines. (
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines/Roads)
>

> The tagging guidelines (both prior to, and following cleanup) state it is
> good practice in Australia to tag every road with a maxspeed.
>
> The early guidelines say that the implicit speed limits have not been
> widely adopted in Australia, but this no longer appears to be true.

I would agree that it's good practice to tag every road with a maxspeed.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice#Don.27t_map_local_legislation_if_not_bound_to_specific_objects
does
seem to confirm that. Generally being more specific with your tagging
especially when confirmed on the ground is better.

Similar for surface=asphalt, it used to be the case that you wouldn't
bother tagging this as you assume it was the case if no surface was tagged,
but to improve data quality and to distinguish this from "yet to be
surveyed", and with the rise of editors like iD which give you an explicit
dropdown or checkbox and StreetComplete which asks for every feature and
needs an explicit tag to know it's been checked on the ground, it's more
acceptable to always tag.

> In use is both the maxspeed:type tag and source:maxspeed tag.
> Unfortunately, the earlier guidelines offers advice on the usage of the
> source:maxspeed tag that is contradictory to the global page. (It suggests
> local_knowledge to mark implicit speed limits rather than AU:urban). The
> maxspeed:type tag does not have this contradiction.
>
> I am not sure if leaving the maxspeed blank (or using a non-numeric value)
> would be a good idea; using a non numeric value in maxspeed seems to be
> much less preferred globally than the alternative methods. I documented
> maxspeed:type rather than source:maxspeed following a discord discussion,
> but I believe either of those two schemes are preferable to using
> maxspeed=AU:urban.

I think those are useful in addition to the maxspeed tag, as they indicate
if the maxspeed value came from a signpost/road marking, or due to implied
legal defaults eg in NSW residential roads are 50km/h unless otherwise
signposted.