> For the "north only" and "south only" segments, I would certainly keep both
> of these "directional" segments in the one "main" relation, but tagged with
> role tags:  usually "forward" if the direction of the way corresponds to the
> direction of travel,
>  JOSM's relation editor also pays
> attention to forward and backward directional role tags, presenting them
> (after a click of the sort button) in a visually clear way.

I'm a bit confused here.  Are you saying that even if the ways are in the
correct direction (and even have oneway=yes), they should have a role in the
relation of "forward" ?  (I don't see forward and backward roles in the wiki?)

> For the summer / winter routes, you may want to see if you can coax the
> opening_hours syntax to properly reflect the "time" that these are to be /
> should be used, and also do a rename

I think this is impractical because Parks & Wildlife divert the route depending
on river levels, so it depends on the season.

> Thinking about this .. and coming from 'public transport' routes ...
> Use 2 relations
> One from 'x' to 'y' (and public transports uses keys 'from' and 'to')
> The other from 'y' to 'x'.
> So you'd have 2 Munda Biddi Trail route relations.. similar to the India
> Pacific train - one from Perth the other from Sydney.
>
> This would make clear the north only and south only routes...

I am very reluctant to do this.  The main reason is that 95+% of the trail is
bidirectional, and route changes occur many times per year.  This would mean
having the edit two relations each time the route changes.  The other reason is
that creating 2 relations would not solve the summer/winter route issue (and
don't even suggest 4 relations 😊)