On Sep 15, 2022, at 4:38 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Work is due to start "soon" on the next extension of the GC Light Rail route.
>
> Details have been published about where it will be going, & where the
> stations will be located, site offices are now appearing & physical work is
> supposed to start later this year.
>
> At what stage do we map this, & what as - proposed or construction?

Having a lot of experience with this in OSM (you can see how we do it in
California here [1] and especially here [2]), the "rules of thumb" that have
emerged go a lot like this:

• infrastructure tagging (ways tagged railway=rail, or railway=light_rail /
railway=tram if those are "what is") comes first, then these elements aggregate
into a route=railway relation (in the USA, these are often called
"subdivisions," though these route members could be pieces of an industrial
spur, a logical section of rail tagged usage=branch, a bunch of rail=disused or
rail=abandoned if you map those...),

• "proposed" tagging (see state=proposed, maybe you like what that displays in
OpenRailwayMap) comes next, but ONLY when the line / route / service is REAL in
some sense, like it has gone through final design AND is mostly- or
fully-funded,

• "construction" tagging really only should start as shovels-are-in-ground and
equipment is building things,

• and when construction finishes, you can turn the elements of route=railway
plus stations into (first) public_transport:version=1 route relations, then
upgrade those with platforms, stop_area and such to version 2 routes (should be
route=train, route=light_rail, route=tram...again depending on "what is").

The ticklish parts come when you might actually put a "proposed" route in,
especially if it is widely wanted, the maps of the proposed route are drawn,
but there is no funding.  Many want to add those to OSM, but many also believe
they shouldn't be entered until they are "substantially or mostly- /
fully-funded."

For rail projects, these timelines are often many years, and so the process
dovetails with some give-and-take among the local / regional OSM community
about "where about are we?" (in the sense of consensus) about which of these
stages of "gleam in transport policy department's eye..." to "buy your ticket,
take a ride" the project actually "is" in some real-world sense.

You folks seem to have figured out a lot about this already "down there," so
I'm sort of waving from West Coast stateside and saying "we've got some rail
construction going on here" (2028 Olympics in Los Angeles, California
High-Speed Rail [3]...), come take a look at how we do it."

You don't want to be "too future-oriented" or you'll ruffle feathers, as you're
more-or-less saying something exists (in the real world) by putting it in the
map, when it doesn't (quite) yet.  So be careful with that.  Otherwise, have
fun / map happy!

Steve

[1] https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/California/Railroads
[2] https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/California/Railroads/Passenger