Doing some looking & found this site: http://lgam.wikidot.com/footpath

Some of definitions it mentions are:

The Glossary of Austroads Terms
<http://lgam.wikidot.com/glossary-of-austroads-terms> defines a footpath as
a "public way reserved for the movement of pedestrians and of manually
propelled vehicles."

The Australian Road Rules <http://lgam.wikidot.com/australian-road-rules>
define a footpath as "an area open to the public that is designated for, or
has as one of its main uses, use by pedestrians."

Part 6A of the Austroads Guide to Road Design
<http://lgam.wikidot.com/austroads-guide-to-road-design> provides guidance
for road designers and other practitioners on the design of paths for safe
and efficient walking and cycling.

So, it would appear that officially, footpaths can be used for cycling!

Thanks

Graeme