On 12/2/23 21:02, cleary wrote:
In principle, I agree with Warin. My problem is relying on the Base Map as an
authoritative source for names when there is other information.
What 'other information' that is OSM compatible for copyright? Note 'other information' can be used to find stuff but not for entry into OSM but as a means to find it and then use OSM compatible sources to make the entry.

I just looked at Lane Cove Fire Station which has been recently re-tagged. It
looks good to me.

The 'name' I think is ok.

The 'alt_name' I think should be 'official_name' ...

Note .. The Lane Cove Fire Station had 2 entries for the one feature, one on a single node the other on a way tagged for the building. I removed the duplicated tags from the building and place them on the node. No I am not doing this everywhere, I seek to separate the amenity=fire_station from the building=* and then expand the amenity to the boundaries usually beyond the building. Lane Cove did not lend itself to that. Still thinking on it, and a few other problem sites.