I agree that environmental preservation doesn't generally need to be in conflict with ground truth.

If an area of a park - or tracks - is closed by land managers, tracks in that area should be tagged accordingly.

By simply deleting tracks from OSM, mappers are more likely to add the tracks again when they come across them. If the tracks are already in OSM, but tagged so that they are not visible (and possibly with a note explaining why), then it's a lot clearer why they should not be made visible.

The vast majority of the tracks in say Blue Mountains National Park are informal (formed by bushwalkers over time). That doesn't mean that NPWS is going to close them. Heck, they even advertise many of them! NPWS themselves acknowledges that they don't have the resources to maintain even a small percentage of the tracks.

There are still some grey areas. I've occasionally avoided mapping certain tracks because I know it will likely lead to significant impact - hanging swamps, aboriginal sites etc.

But in general I'd map what's on the ground, as long as that's not conflicting with a land manager policy.

cheers
Tom
----
Canyoning? try http://ozultimate.com/canyoning