I think you are on the right track, Andrew.  Australian Bureau of Statistics
(ABS) is a credible and independent statistical authority that we are lucky to
have in this country.  I would be confident of their data and analyses. Their
Urban Centres and Localities (UCLs) looks suitable for our purpose.  Your
suggested population sizes to classified as cities, towns etc seem reasonable
to me, but others may have different suggestions. However, I am not sure that
we have clarified if OSM has permission to use current ABS data.