What follows are the reactions of 2 people on talk-be, regarding my
question. I know Ivodeb is not happy with how I tried to solve the marriage
between proper rendering of normal maps and maps of bus routes. We'd need a
separate tag for indicating that these 'roads' are not actually there, but
they are more like 'virtual pathways' of where the vehicles are likely to
travel across such a wide road, devoid of lanes.

Please let me know what you think. Ivodeb would also like to see two oneway
streets between the platforms, but there too, there is only a wide slab of
concrete. I could add them to the multipolygon, ofc, but that's completely
breaking with how OSM used to map. Maybe it's the way to go, though.

So three main possibilities:
1. map only what's really there. Result: ugly bus routes
2. do it halfbaked, like it's now.
3. go completely nuts with the virtual pathways and add the spaces between
the platforms to the multipolygon as well. Result: really clear and smooth
bus routes.

Jo

Hi,

I'm working on the bus terminal of Leuven in Belgium.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.882181&lon=4.714964&zoom=18&layers=M

There is a triangular shaped slab of concrete with an island, the bus
terminal is right next to it. I created many 'ways' that are not exactly
there, but in order to create contiguous relations they are needed.

My biggest beef with the rendering are all those little one way arrows. So I
already took them away, but somebody else insists on putting them back...

What I did with the multipolygon conveys what's actually there. All the
virtual ways are paths across the concrete in order to get a nice picture
when rendering the bus routes. It seems like a good compromise, but I'm at a
loss about whether it's the right way to map the whole area.

Thanks for your input.

Jo
 Beantwoorden
 Doorsturen
Beantwoorden
Richard Mann aan mij, talk
details weergeven 4 okt. (3 dagen geleden)
The Mapnik rendering is not perfect, and one of its imperfections is
its over-display of one-way arrows. That's a problem for the renderer
to fix, I'm afraid.

I think you always need ways, even if they are covered by an area, so
your approach strikes me as just fine.

Richard
- Tekst uit oorspronkelijke bericht weergeven -

 Beantwoorden
 Allen beantwoorden
 Doorsturen
 Richard Mann uitnodigen om te chatten
Beantwoorden
Dave F. aan talk
details weergeven 5 okt. (3 dagen geleden)
 On 04/10/2010 18:39, Jo wrote:

> My biggest beef with the rendering are all those little one way arrows.

Who cares about that when you got seven pubs adjacent to each other!  :-)

DaveF.