I agree with you, ofc. The reason for using child relations was because so
many bus routes share the same roads. I'm starting to think, maybe another
level of abstraction is needed. A totally separate set of relations.

What we have now:

1 route relation for each direction (even though, even that is being
disputed), containing all segments and all stops where this bus stops
1 relation grouping these sets of route relations. Maybe this one should get
another name. PTLine (public transportation line)

In order to be able to maintain all this data, maybe we could have the child
relations as 'routepart' and 'protoroute' relations to combine them. Then we
(I) could write some software to convert them to the actual route relations
that the routers/map drawing SW can work with.

Then if a change is needed, the editor adapts the protoroute and/or the
segments and runs the conversion tool.

Jo