On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:41:25 +0100, Ben Laenen <benlae...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I usually tag these small ways between two lanes of a dual carriage
> road with the same classification of the crossing roads, in this case
> highway=unclassified. But there's no strict rule on this AFAIK, even
> though we could really use one...

Tag it according to the traffic that runs over it. If the crossing road
is a residential road, tag the part between the two carriageways as
residential. Is it a cycleway, tag it as cycleway.

I think the basic rule can be made as such: if a way crosses another
way, do not change the tagging to match the crossing way.

So the example Klaas gave is IMHO an example of incorrect tagging.

Maarten