Here is the page on maxspeed.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source:maxspeed

this is the section on the signs that left me with the questions

Tagging sign positions

Practice has shown that it is generally useful to *additionally* map the
positions of maxspeed signs. It is suggested to put a node at the actual
sign position and tag it with

   - traffic_sign <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic_sign>=

maxspeed<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:traffic_sign%3Dmaxspeed&action=edit&redlink=1>
   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=50 for a
   limit of 50 km/h

This procedure is really helpful for other mappers and for yourself, as it
is almost impossible to not overlook a sign while mapping an area the first
time. It is suggested to also map repeated maxspeed signs. *Please note
that this procedure is an additional help for mappers and still requires to
map the maxspeed limits on the way as well!*
*
*
*
*
There is also a section on the source, which I did not apply before, I used
to only put a maxspeed tag on the way

examples

e.g.

   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=50 and *
   source:maxspeed*=IT:urban
   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=100 and *
   source:maxspeed*=DE:rural
   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=130 and *
   source:maxspeed*=IT:motorway
   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=50 and *
   source:maxspeed*=sign
   -
   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=30 and *
   source:maxspeed*=DE:zone - Proposed by a majority on the mailing list
   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=30 and *
   source:maxspeed*=DE:zone30 - Most used value
   - maxspeed <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed>=30 and *
   source:maxspeed*=DE:zone:30 - Second most used value