Hi,

I have improved my border scanning program.
For additional fun, I computed the length of borderlines between municipalities. You can see the Province Liège result @ http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Papou/OSM. I intend to check the borders for various kinds of errors later and build a worksheet (1). At present, it only builds that worksheet for persons to reserve and mark completion of tasks.
Click on the headers to sort the columns, especially by length.

I thought I could make a shortest-border contest, but you can see the problem: a 3 meter winner! That's because, despite the practice is discouraged, Mr Verdy has been using paths as borders. After ignoring streams, paths and barbed wire borders, it turns out that the winner is:

     Deutschland — Belgique / België / Belgien

Congratulations !!!
What is that? That's the name Mr Verdy has given it instead of a simple commune X commune Y. But it's easy to find which border it is by looking to which areas it belongs: Verviers (town, arrondissement, province?), Deutschsprachige Gemeinschaft, Deutschland (Landmasse), Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Burg-Reuland, Liège (town, arrondissement, province?), België - Belgique - Belgien, Belgigue / België / Belgien (land mass), Deutschland — Belgique / België / Belgien, Eifelkreis Bitburg-Prüm, Eifel, Sevenig (Our), Arzfeld and ... 1259856.

     Conclusions:

In order for my program (and others) to work and be useful,

 * *the names of the borders must be Municipality A — Municipality B*
   and not 30 times Belgium — Germany or Liège —Verviers.  Note that
   this is border identification. The names Belgium an Germany are
   taken from the relations and written on the borderline to indicate
   country limits anyway.
 * proper ways must be used for borders, not paths, railways, streams,
   landuse etc...

*Can we all agree on that?*

(1) I can check that each border has 2 communes and that the municipality and border names are the same. I can check that the municipality has a well formed phone number, is_in, and a huge lot of things like that: I will ask you the rules you think of.

Cheers,

Papou André.