On 2013-01-16 22:32, Ben Laenen wrote :
On Wednesday 16 January 2013 22:04:57 A.Pirard.Papou wrote:
Hi,

The "Mandatory to follow the direction indicated by the arrow"
description for the down sloping D1 signals here
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Belgium> is
(fortunately) incorrect.  It should be "Drive around the obstacle on the
side indicated by the arrow".
"fortunately incorrect"? :-)
Yes, because if it were correct you should go under ground. *MANDATORY* !!! ;-)
The full Dutch official definition of the D1 sign is:

"D1. Verplichting de door de pijl aangeduide richting te volgen.
De plaatsgesteldheid bepaalt de stand van de pijl.
Wanneer het verkeersbord dat een niet-gebogen pijl voorstelt, op een hindernis
geplaatst is, betekent het dat langs de door de pijl aangeduide richting moet
voorbijgereden worden."

Translated: "D1. Mandatory to follow the direction indicated by the arrow. The
location decides the direction the arrow is pointing. If the traffic sign that
represents a non-curved arrow is placed on an obstacle, it means that you have
to drive around it on the side indicated by the arrow."

So, the definition on the page isn't incorrect, but I only translated the
first sentence. I just wanted to have a simple definition in the table without
every little detail. But if you want you can always add the definition of the
traffic sign when it's placed on an obstacle.

I did not say that your translation is bad and I don't blame you, I meant that the explanation in the Belgian highway code is bad. *Actually*, this sign <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Belgium-trafficsign-d1_downleft.svg> and this sign <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Belgium-trafficsign-d1_downright.svg> are the only (direction) ones placed on obstacles. The blunder of the code is that there should be two different IDs such as D1a and D1b, and two explanations for two different meanings (turn left and go around). So, what should be done is split the D1 row in two, move those two signs to the second part and put each explanation in the correct part.
Who will do that?
Do you want it confirmed by a lawyer (source=)? I'd prefer.

The highway code has many blunders.
The "no parking sign" with a double headed arrow is described as "no parking over a long distance". It's obviously meaningless to say "long distance" without saying how long and not to say *where* the interdiction applies. The correct definition is "... in front of the sign and behind it, up to a crossing or another signal.

E1 explanation should add "behind the signal".
One E1 in a GB parking lot was obviously placed to mean the opposite.

Nice page. I appreciate the SVG format.
Would you like some fills if I can find or make them?
I would replace B9 with B15 with the bars in all 6 directions :-)
I also like the left-turning D1 rotated 90° anticlockwise.
(I took a photograph of one with a Carrefour shop in the background)
Especially when followed by left-down-sloping rotated 90° clockwise.

Cheers,

André.